Monday, May 6, 2013

Adventures in Printing

Ireland. Where the simple task of turning in a paper turns into an adventure. As I hopped out of bed around 1 o'clock in hopes of printing out a paper that was due today, I expected a simple trip to the nearby Rye Hall Computer Center to be all I would need. Unfortunately this was just the start of my journey. Rye Hall was closed so I wandered over to location number 2 at the Arts Block. This building was open, but literally every machine was in use and there was a line of 5 people to get the next available computer. This led me down to the library which I should have known would be a lost cause before I even thought of it. The place is already low on computers and with it being study week it was packed. While I was there though I attempted to change out a 20 so I could put a euro on my print account. Apparently they don't do this though so I had to get an over priced albeit delicious coffee from starbucks in order to break it. My journey then led me back to the arts block where I finally got a machine but soon found that it wasn't connected to the print network. I was getting rather frustrated when I finally found the best kept secret of NUIM. The Callan Foyer computer cluster doesn't have a printer, but it prints to the print hub in the Arts Block. I finally had my paper printed out and headed over to the sociology building to turn it in just to find the door locked. Typical. So I then made my way over to security who had to give my card special access to the building with the drop box. Finally, after 3 hours of running about, I successfully turned in my seminar paper for my ethnic conflict class. Personally I think I should get bonus points for the effort but I'm sure I'm alone in that sentiment. I've included a Google Map with all my meanderings for the afternoon for you to see the wild goose chase this task set me on!

No comments:

Post a Comment